Author Topic: Arms & Explosives FAQ's  (Read 17749 times)


  • Administrator
  • Jr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 102
    • Paintball Association (Singapore)
Arms & Explosives FAQ's
« on: 19 December 2010, 10:33:56 PM »

1. Can I apply for a licence to possess an antique gun in Singapore?
In Singapore, we do not allow anyone to possess an antique gun other than a musket gun. No licence is required for a musket gun if the barrel is sealed and the firing mechanism deactivated.

2.Can I possess a Stun Gun or Pepper spray for self-protection in Singapore?
The stun gun and pepper spray are prohibited in Singapore because they are dangerous items and if fallen on wrong hands, can lead to serious consequences. Hence, no one is allowed to possess them.

3. Do I need a licence to import toy guns into Singapore?

All importation of toy guns requires the approval of the Licensing Officer. Any toy gun that resembles a real gun will not be approved. No licence is issued for toy guns. For unapproved toy guns, A&E will either advise the owner to surrender those toy guns for disposal, or to re-export out of Singapore.

4. I would like to import a Samurai Sword. How can I go about importing it?

You can import a Samurai sword through a forwarding agent, who should declare it through the Tradenet system. For more details, please log on to You may be required to bring the sword to a police station for inspection before an import licence can be issued. If it is hand carried, you should declare it to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority at the point of entry. The sword may be impounded for inspection and you can claim it from the Police Station which has jurisdiction over the entry point. Please note that if you are allowed to possess the sword, it must be kept in a dwelling house and not to be carried in any public place without any lawful purpose.

5. Am I allowed to possess an airsoft gun, which discharges only plastic pellets?
An airsoft gun resembles a real gun and it discharges pellets at high velocity. Besides being dangerous, it can lead to serious consequences, if fallen on wrong hands. Hence, its possession by an individual is prohibited in Singapore.

6. I would like to import knives such as hunting and survival knives for sale. Do I need a licence?   

No licence is required for sales of knives. However, when importing, the knives must be declared through the TradeNet system for approval by Arms & Explosive Branch. You may be required to bring the knives to Arms & Explosive Branch for inspection before they can be brought back for sales.

7. I am an expatriate and will be moving to Singapore. I have a shortgun and a pistol for target shooting. How can I bring these weapons into Singapore with me?
You need licences to possess these arms for target practice. In order for a person be issued with such licences, he must be a member of a gun club. There are a few such gun clubs in Singapore, for example, the Singapore Gun Club and the Singapore Rifle Association. Please note that if licences are issued, the arms have to be kept at the gun club's armoury at all times and should not be taken out of the club without the written permission of the Licensing Officer.

Once you have become a member of a gun club, you may import your arms in Singapore through a handling agent. The handling agent has to declare the importation of the arms through the Tradenet system, for approval by the Licensing Officer and the issuance of an import licence. These arms have to be escorted by armed guard/s from the point of entry to the gun club's armoury for safe-keeping.

8. Can I own bow and arrows in Singapore?
You need an approval to possess bow and arrows. To obtain the approval, you must be a member of the Archery Club in Singapore. Please note that bow and arrows can only be used at locations where the archery club hold its activities.

9. Do I need a licence to import paintball guns into Singapore?   

Paintball guns fall under the definition of "arms" under the Arms & Explosives Act and hence, you need a licence to import paintball guns. You can apply for a licence through a forwarding agent. However, we do not allow possession by an individual in Singapore

10.Can I import or bring in handcuffs, thumb cuffs or leg cuffs into Singapore?
Except thumbcuffs, these other cuffs are prohibited in Singapore and hence you cannot import or bring them in.

11. I am a foreigner and will be transiting through Singapore. I will be carrying my guns for a shooting competition in a neighbouring country. Do I need a licence to transport my guns through Singapore?

For transit of guns through Singapore for sporting purpose, no licence is required. However, you have to make arrangement with the airline on which you are travelling so that the guns can be safely transported.

If the guns are to be transported to West Malaysia or vice-versa by land, you need to apply for import and export licences from the Licensing Officer. The licence can be applied through a handling agent. Supporting documents such as a letter from the Malaysian authorities confirming your participation in a shooting competition and authorising you to import guns into West Malaysia must be submitted. You also need to engage armed escorts to escort the guns from the point of entry to the exit point i.e. Woodlands Checkpoint or Tuas Link.

12. Do I need a licence to possess a spear gun or to bring in a spear gun from Singapore to Malaysia?
You need a licence to possess a spear gun in Singapore. If you intend to bring it to Malaysia for a fishing trip, you need to obtain export and import licences from the Licensing Officer. You may also be required to obtain a licence from the Malaysian authorities.

13. What regulations control the sale and discharge of firecrackers/ fireworks in Singapore?
The Dangerous Fireworks Act, Chapter 72, regulates the sale and discharge of firecrackers or fireworks in Singapore.

14.Can anyone discharge firecrackers or fireworks/ pyrotechnics in Singapore?
Firecrackers and fireworks are banned in Singapore under the Dangerous Fireworks Act. However, the Minister may grant exemption for its discharge. Currently, 5 licensed companies are granted exemptions to discharge certain types of fireworks/ pyrotechnics at certain approved events only. For more information on the exemption conditions, please click here. As for firecrackers, exemptions may be granted by the Minister for its discharge at events such as the Chinese New Year light-up, Singapore River Hong Bao and Chingay. Again, only licensed companies are authorised to carry out such a discharge.

15.Can firecrackers be sold in retail shops?
Firecrackers have been banned since 1972 under the Dangerous Fireworks Act and hence, no one is permitted to sell firecrackers in Singapore.

16.What types of fireworks can be sold or discharged in Singapore?   

Non-dangerous fireworks such as sparklers, party poppers, 'Beauty and Snake' fireworks, 'Cobra' fireworks and Christmas crackers are allowed to be sold or discharged in Singapore.

17.How do I go about applying for permission to discharge firecrackers/ fireworks? What conditions must I fulfil?   

You need to engage a licensed company to carry out the discharge of firecrackers/ fireworks. The company will have to provide a sketch and details of the event to the Police. Police will then make an assessment before deciding whether or not to allow the discharge. Both Police and Singapore Civil Defence Force may impose conditions on the licensed operator to ensure that appropriate safety precautions are taken before and during the discharge of the firecrackers/ fireworks. These conditions include maintaining a safety radius of discharge, cordoning the area to ensure the safety of the crowd and making available first aid equipment and fire extinguishers during the discharge of firecrackers.

18. What is the punishment for unlawful possession or discharge fireworks?
Anyone found in unlawful possession of or discharge of firecrackers can be punished with a fine of up to $10,000/-, or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or to both. Those convicted for a second or subsequent offence of discharging dangerous fireworks will be sentenced to a term of imprisonment not exceeding 2 years and would also be liable to caning with not more than 6 strokes.

19.What is the definition of "explosive" in the Act?
Under the Arms & Explosives Act, Chapter 13, "explosive" is defined as:
(a)    means gunpowder, nitro-glycerine, dynamite, gun-cotton, blasting powder, fulminate of mercury or of other metals, coloured fires and every other substance, whether similar to those abovementioned or not, used or manufactured with a view to produce a practical effect by explosion or a pyrotechnic effect;
(b)    includes fog signals, fireworks, fuses, rockets, percussion-caps, detonators, cartridges and ammunition of all descriptions, and every adaptation or preparation of an explosive as above defined; and
(c)    includes sand crackers, and any substance declared to be deemed an explosive by notification under section 10(1)(a).

20. What is the definition of "arms" in the Act?
Under the Arms & Explosives Act, "arms" is defined as - any firearms, air-guns, air-pistols, automatic guns, automatic pistols, and guns or any other kind of gun from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged or noxious fumes or noxious substance can be emitted and any component part of any such arms, and bayonets, swords, daggers, spears and spearheads.

21. If I want to import/ export arms and ammunition for government departments, both locally and overseas, do I need to apply for a licence?
Yes, you need to register a company with the Registry of Companies and Businesses and apply for a licence from the Police Licensing Division to deal in the import and export of arms and ammunition. Please note that you are not allowed to store any ammunition and must deliver it directly to the government department ordering it from the point of entry.

22. What information do I need to provide for the import/ export of arms and explosives through the TradeNet System?
You need to provide the following information on items to be imported/ exported:
(a)    Description of the item and what is it to be used for. Do not give superficial description like serial number or part number. The description should be able to tell us what the item is and what is it to be use, for example Smith & Wesson revolver, calibre. 38" Special, Fiochi Ammunition calibre 9mm.
(b)    Quantity of the item in terms of kilograms, tons or number of rounds (for ammunition).
(c)    HS code number
(d)    UN number
(e)    UN hazard classification

23. What are the conditions normally imposed on the transportation of arms and explosives?
The conditions will depend on the type of items to be transported. For all arms and explosives, (including ammunition), an armed escort is required. The driver of the vehicle transporting the items must be Hazmat trained and licensed. Also, the items must be stored in an approved place. For transport of explosives, the driver has to follow the approved route to the place of final destination.

24.What is the validity period of an import or export licence?
These licences are valid for 14 days.